[asterisk-users] Asterisk Online Training

Steve Totaro stotaro at asteriskhelpdesk.com
Mon Jun 6 12:12:30 CDT 2011

2011/6/6 Antonio Modesto <modesto at isimples.com.br>:
> Good Morning,
>
>     I'm thinking about buying the asterisk six-months online course, Have
> somebody here that bought that course? What is your opinion?
>
> Thanks.

I have not bought the course nor will I.

I am self taught everything in IT and Telephony.  I know each person
learns differently, that is why when I train someone, I don't show
them, I make them do it and coach until they don't need help.

In college, I studied for business administration and accounting.  It
was too easy.  My classes at WVU had 300 students, so attendance was
impossible to keep track of.  I aced all the tests.

Then one summer I was a book keeper at t a travel agency.  I hated it.
 I hated waking up to go to work, I hated the commute, and I hated the
job.

Then it dawned on me that I was always good at computers and figuring
things out, ever since I got my VIC 20 and later my Commodore 64.

I even had a Timex Sinclare(sp?)

I got into a bit of trouble but since I was a kid and there was no
malicious intent, the legal anchorites went away, just had to deal
with my parents.  Total tangent, I apologize.

Classes slow me down and then become super boring.  I fell asleep in
the 3Com NBX course a few times, but got a 98% on the cert exam.  I
learned Cisco on the job, walked into a Prometric and passed with 80
something % and got my CCNA.

Same for M$ products.  I am planning to take the Red Hat cert soon.

Anyways, I find structured courses to be a waste.  Usually they hamper
your creativity and are filled with fluff.

If you cannot get a solid grasp of Asterisk in six months on your own
lab using Google, voip-info, and howtos, then the course is probably
for you you.

Thanks,
Steve Totaro