[asterisk-users] Compact, affordable x86 devices?

John Novack jnovack at stromberg-carlson.org
Mon Jul 18 08:03:52 CDT 2011

HP still does make Thin Clients, often with XP Embedded, though I have
had very good results with many older used ones sold on eBay. With a new
larger flash from Transcend, they simply work. Consider the used units
not worn out but simply ones with more experience that probably won't
fail. New units are always subject to infant mortality!!
The T5720 often comes with a large enough flash that replacement isn't
needed, and reflashing with AstLinux can be done a number of ways,
beyond the scope of this list. AstLinux has a web server for
configuration, not sure about SQlite.
Check out their site for more details
there are other low cost solutions around as well.
the ALIX boards I have seen do not impress me. I think they are somewhat
overpriced. Jut one opinion

John Novack

Gilles wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Jul 2011 08:04:31 -0400, John Novack
> <jnovack at stromberg-carlson.org>  wrote:
>
>> Just about any of the HP thin clients, either new or used off eBay, with
>> AstLinux installed do a wonderful job, especially if you are not going
>> to need a PCI card.
>> The older units will need a larger flash. Transcend has several
>> different sizes that are direct replacements
>>
>> Looks like some of the Neoware units will also do the job.
>>
> Thanks for the tip. I'd like to buy the unit new: Are those devices
> still manufactured? How easy is it to reflash them to run as a
> stand-alone Linux host? Which device would you recommend to Asterisk
> and a couple of other apps (small web server, SQLite, etc.)?
>
> Thank you.
>

> --

Dog is my Co-pilot