[asterisk-users] Installing Asterisk from repository works great without the need to install Dahdi on Host Node of Proxmox - But trying to install from source fails. Why?

Bruce B bruceb444 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 14:43:47 CDT 2011

Hi everyone,

I just lunched a CentOS VM in Proxmox and used the Digium repository to
install Asterisk using "yum install asterisk16"...and it works great. Runs
and it seems to have installed ztdummy as well without the need to touch the
host node. But when I try to compile Dahdi from source on the same VM to
install Asterisk from source I get this:

#@root/usr/src/dahdi/: *make all*
make -C linux all
make[1]: Entering directory
`/usr/src/dahdi-linux-complete-2.4.1.2+2.4.1/linux'
make -C drivers/dahdi/firmware firmware-loaders
make[2]: Entering directory
`/usr/src/dahdi-linux-complete-2.4.1.2+2.4.1/linux/drivers/dahdi/firmware'
make[2]: Leaving directory
`/usr/src/dahdi-linux-complete-2.4.1.2+2.4.1/linux/drivers/dahdi/firmware'
*You do not appear to have the sources for the 2.6.32-4-pve kernel
installed.*
make[1]: *** [modules] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/usr/src/dahdi-linux-complete-2.4.1.2+2.4.1/linux'
make: *** [all] Error 2

It seems that everyone is suggesting to install Dahdi on Host Node and then
do modprobe ztdummy to get Dahdi running in VPS. Well, what is different
between source install and repository install which doesn't need me to touch
Host Node at all? I would rather not touch the Host Node at all and get a
setup running just like Digium repository does.

Any feedback is much appreciated.