[asterisk-users] [OT] Streaming video on variable bandwidth connection?

Tim Dobson lists at tdobson.net
Mon Jan 31 17:48:01 CST 2011

Hey guys,

I'm sorry this isn't * related but if there *is* an 'answer' to this
question, I suspect someone on this list will know it. :)

I'm trying to work out what technology to use;

Situation:
Mobile Linux computer connected via 3G/GPRS to internet.
The computer is likely to encounter fluctuating connectivity where it
connectivity drops between low GPRS signal, full HDPSA signal and
completely offline.

Objective:
I'm trying to find a technology to stream [live] video from a V4L2
device to 'the internet' over the able connection. The connection only
needs to be one way.

Caveat:
Ideally I need to work out something that makes a 'best effort'
judgement based on the amount/quality of bandwidth available and and
streams the best picture it can. Eg. Where loads of bandwidth is
available, there is a nice picture and where there isn't, there isn't a
nice picture, but there isn't nothing.

Does anything like this exist?

Ideally something I can pull the video out in something resembling a
sane format would be cool.
Bonus points if it's easily scriptable...

Cheers,

Tim