[asterisk-users] res_fax

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Mon Jan 31 17:13:02 CST 2011

On 01/31/2011 05:06 PM, Bryant Zimmerman wrote:

> I just replaced the res_fax.c file with the one from 304599. Would I
> just keep doing that as I step forward on versions of 1.8.x?
> If this is the case how would I get any other critical changes to
> res_fax.c that may occur after rev 304599?
> How would I create a patch that would allow me to apply it to additional
> release version of asterisk.
> Sorry for the simple questions I do most of my dev on windows machines
> and this process is a still a bit confusing to me.

It's very possible that future versions of res_fax.c from trunk will not
be compatible with Asterisk 1.8.x, so you can't keep doing that forever.
However, as long as the version of res_fax.c *compiles* when you drop it
into the Asterisk 1.8 tree, it should work.

Critical changes to res_fax.c (meaning bug fixes or security
vulnerability fixes) *will* be made in the 1.8 branch; it's only new
features that won't be added there.

I can't really tell you how you might want to make patches and apply
them to future releases... that depends a lot on how you are downloading
and building Asterisk 1.8 already. Since the patch to add 'F' is so
small, though, it would be fairly easy to manually make the changes when
you install a new release.

Now that you have a working system, it would be really nice to get some
debugging information like I asked for before, so we can try to figure
out why T.38 negotiation is failing with your provider.

--
Kevin P. Fleming
skype: kpfleming | jabber: kfleming at digium.com