[asterisk-users] res_fax

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Wed Jan 26 13:16:43 CST 2011

On 01/26/2011 01:12 PM, Tom Rymes wrote:
> On 01/26/2011 1:49 PM, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> Steve did not write res_fax (which where SendFAX and ReceiveFAX come
>> from)
>
> <snip>
>
> I am personally a little confused here, because I have a ReceiveFAX
> application when I unload the res_fax module and res_fax_digium module
> and load the app_fax module. In other words, I think that multiple
> modules provide applications named ReceiveFax and SendFAX.
>
> Am I correct to infer that using app_fax.so is no longer recommended and
> that res_fax.so with res_fax_spandsp.so -OR- res_fax_digium.so is now
> the way to go?

That is correct. app_fax is deprecated (and that is why it is marked as
"don't build" by default), and res_fax plus a technology module
(res_fax_spandsp or res_fax_digium) is the replacement for it. All of
the work that the Digium team has done improving T.38 negotiation and
interoperability has gone into res_fax, not app_fax. Users of Asterisk
1.8.x should only choose to build app_fax if they have a specific need
for it (and if that's the case we'd like to know what the need is so we
can ensure that res_fax can satisfy it). Users of older Asterisk
releases will have app_fax by default (since res_fax was not included in
those versions), but if they want to use Digium's res_fax_digium module
they can download it along with res_fax and use them instead.

--
Kevin P. Fleming
skype: kpfleming | jabber: kfleming at digium.com