[asterisk-users] Asterisk on Debian Lenny with timerfd

RR ranjtech at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 19:36:30 CST 2011

On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 7:07 PM, Kevin P. Fleming <kpfleming at digium.com>wrote:

> On 01/24/2011 12:46 PM, RR wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 12:09 PM, Kevin P. Fleming <kpfleming at digium.com
>> <mailto:kpfleming at digium.com>> wrote:
>>
>>    On 01/24/2011 07:29 AM, RR wrote:
>>
>>        On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 4:56 AM, RR <ranjtech at gmail.com
>>        <mailto:ranjtech at gmail.com>
>>        <mailto:ranjtech at gmail.com <mailto:ranjtech at gmail.com>>> wrote:
>>
>>            On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 4:06 AM, Roger Burton West
>>        <roger at firedrake.org <mailto:roger at firedrake.org>
>>          <mailto:roger at firedrake.org <mailto:roger at firedrake.org>>>
>> wrote:
>>
>>                On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 02:58:45AM -0500, RR wrote:
>>         >In the meantime, does anyone have a nice way to update a
>>                stable/stock lenny
>>         >installation with the updated glibc as well as the latest kernel
>>
>>                At this point the easiest option will be to upgrade to
>>        squeeze.

>>            Umm yeah that might not be a smart thing to do since
>>        eventually all
>>            of this needs to run in a production environment and Squeeze is
>>            still in a RC mode. Would be nice if I could go to it though
>> but
>>            don't think it'll be that smart esp. all other software that
>>        needs
>>            to work along with it might break too...who knows
>>

>>    This a statement we hear from people periodically that just confuses
>>    me... they say they can't update to an 'RC' release of something
>>    (Linux distro, Asterisk, etc.) because they need to run in
>>    production mode, but they're willing to consider replacing something
>>    as fundamental as the Linux kernel (a bit scary) or glibc (very
>>    scary) instead.
>>
>> haha touché Kevin :) Mate, the response to that is one word: Ignorance
>> :) people like me, who're not developers nor experts of the platform
>> have absolutely no clue what glibc actually does or the impact it
>> actually has. Nor do I know, as a user, how stable Squeeze RC2 really is
>> at this stage of its development. If I had more people in the community
>> say that they're running it in production, then maybe I'll just believe
>> them and start working with Squeeze directly instead of wasting my time
>> like I did trying to have it compiled in Lenny. I just believed when the
>> developers of Debian say that Squeeze RC2 is in "testing" and Lenny is
>> "stable" and decide that it's probably not a good idea to run RC2 in
>> production. I guess part of the thinking was that "other" software
>> besides {*} that needs to run on this machine "may" not even build
>> or run or be stable on Squeeze RC till the authors/users of that other
>> software state that it's been tested with it and it's stable or even
>> builds on it. So, people like me believe that if I upgrade ALL
>> components that depend on glibc and that glibc depends on to the current
>> version, then we'll be ok but we wouldn't have touched anything else in
>> the system, not realising or understanding that satsisfying dependencies
> [...]
I know right? I wish I could have those hours of the night back that I
wasted in trying to get it working on Lenny ... wish I'd done some homework
and realised that all sorts of Squeeze installation ISOs are in fact
available for Sparc. I thought currently only Lenny was available for Sparc
so needed to stick with it. Oh well, that's a lesson for me right there. But
hopefully not all was a wasted effort, I got a good lesson on choosing OS
releases and installing/building dependencies and usage of the package tools
in Debian (Desperately trying to justify the time wastage ;)

If anyone wants, I can still publish the How-to for it nevertheless. Who
knows who might benefit from knowing how to install/uninstall
upgrade/downgrade glibc for whatever reason :)

Cheers,
\R