[asterisk-users] Asterisk on Debian Lenny with timerfd

RR ranjtech at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 12:46:49 CST 2011

On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 12:09 PM, Kevin P. Fleming <kpfleming at digium.com>wrote:

> On 01/24/2011 07:29 AM, RR wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 4:56 AM, RR <ranjtech at gmail.com
>> <mailto:ranjtech at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>    On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 4:06 AM, Roger Burton West
>>    <roger at firedrake.org <mailto:roger at firedrake.org>> wrote:
>>
>>        On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 02:58:45AM -0500, RR wrote:
>>         >In the meantime, does anyone have a nice way to update a
>>        stable/stock lenny
>>         >installation with the updated glibc as well as the latest kernel
>>
>>        At this point the easiest option will be to upgrade to squeeze.

>>    Umm yeah that might not be a smart thing to do since eventually all
>>    of this needs to run in a production environment and Squeeze is
>>    still in a RC mode. Would be nice if I could go to it though but
>>    don't think it'll be that smart esp. all other software that needs
>>    to work along with it might break too...who knows
>>

> This a statement we hear from people periodically that just confuses me...
> they say they can't update to an 'RC' release of something (Linux distro,
> Asterisk, etc.) because they need to run in production mode, but they're
> willing to consider replacing something as fundamental as the Linux kernel
> (a bit scary) or glibc (very scary) instead.

haha touché Kevin :) Mate, the response to that is one word: Ignorance :)
people like me, who're not developers nor experts of the platform have
absolutely no clue what glibc actually does or the impact it actually has.
Nor do I know, as a user, how stable Squeeze RC2 really is at this stage of
its development. If I had more people in the community say that they're
running it in production, then maybe I'll just believe them and start
working with Squeeze directly instead of wasting my time like I did trying
to have it compiled in Lenny. I just believed when the developers of Debian
say that Squeeze RC2 is in "testing" and Lenny is "stable" and decide that
it's probably not a good idea to run RC2 in production. I guess part of the
thinking was that "other" software besides {*} that needs to run on this
machine "may" not even build or run or be stable on Squeeze RC till the
authors/users of that other software state that it's been tested with it and
it's stable or even builds on it. So, people like me believe that if I
upgrade ALL components that depend on glibc and that glibc depends on to the
current version, then we'll be ok but we wouldn't have touched anything else
in the system, not realising or understanding that satsisfying dependencies
doesn't mean anything and something somewhere could just break because of
this unsolicited upgrade thus making the system more unstable. I have really
no explanation for you as to why people (incl. myself) say these things
other than just lack of insight and knowledge about the intricacies of
things like glibc and the impact it can have on the stability of the system
when upgraded out of "context". *sigh* :(