[asterisk-users] Hi, agent intro-speech for outside caller

Steve Edwards asterisk.org at sedwards.com
Thu Jan 20 09:38:28 CST 2011

On Thu, 20 Jan 2011, Danny Nicholas wrote:

> All Asterisk prompts are configurable with a little legwork.  Simply use
> the CLI to see what is playing at the point you want to change, then set
> up this little ditty to override it.  Say you wanted to record the
> “canned” tt-weasels prompt (“Weasels have eaten our phone system”).
> This 3-liner lets you re-record it.
>
> -          exten => 999,1,answer
> -          exten => 999,n,record(tt-weasels.gsm)
> -          exten => 999,n,hangup
>
> If you are using a codec other than gsm you would replace gsm with wav,
> slin, etc.

Another technique is to fiddle with the LANGUAGE channel variable. For
example (off the top of my head):

 	exten = s,n,		set(CHANNEL(language)=mike)
 	exten = s,n,		playback(agent-intro)

Then, record /var/lib/asterisk/sounds/agent-intro.wav to be something
generic like "Hi. I don't know what my name is, but your call is
exceedingly valuable to us" and
/var/lib/asterisk/sounds/mike/agent-intro.wav to be something more
specific like "Hi. My name is Mike and I specialize in sounding sincere
even when I really don't care. I am extremely sorry you have to wait these
brief moments until I am able to provide you with exceptional service
today or tomorrow depending on the length of our call queue, you know?"

--
Thanks in advance,