[asterisk-users] Asterisk extension not found problem...

Steve Edwards asterisk.org at sedwards.com
Wed Jan 19 17:44:01 CST 2011

Please do not add me or yourself to the address list. We should keep the
discussion on the list (and just the list) so it is available to everyone.

Also, top-posting is 'frowned upon.'

On Wed, 19 Jan 2011, abhinav anand wrote:

> Here are the answers to the questions.
>
> 1) Do you need to do a 'dialplan reload?'

> I don't need to do a dialplan reload. Infact there is no such command as
> "dialplan reload". I simply do a "reload" each time I make a config
> change.

What version of Asterisk are you using?

1.2 = 'extensions reload'

1.6 = 'dialplan reload'

(I don't have a 1.4 or 1.8 on hand.)

If you don't have one of these, something is seriously wrong.

> 2) Are you sure you are editing the extensions.conf that your Asterisk
> is configured to read?

> There are two extensions.conf files present in
> /etc/asterisk/extensions.conf
> /home/moment/openbts-uhd/public-trunk/AsteriskConfig/extensions.conf

> I am making the changes in /etc/asterisk file. However, when I have
> tried putting same changes in other file too but again no success.

> 3) Do you start Asterisk with the -C command line option?

> I start Asteisk using "sudo asterisk -vvvvvvvgcr" or "sudo asterisk -r".
> "-c" says Asterisk already running on /var/run/asterisk/asterisk.ctl.
> Use 'asterisk -r' to connect.

The 'r' command line option asks to connect to an existing instance, so
this is not the command you use to start Asterisk.

The 'upper-case C' command line option allows you to specify location
other than /etc/asterisk/ for asterisk.conf.

Typing 'echo $(cat /proc/<pid-of-asterisk>/cmdline)' will show the command
line and options Asterisk was started with.

> 4) What is the value of 'astetcdir' in asterisk.conf?
> The value is as astetcdir => /etc/asterisk and other values are:
> [directories](!) ; remove the (!) to enable this
> astetcdir => /etc/asterisk
> astmoddir => /usr/lib/asterisk/modules
> astvarlibdir => /var/lib/asterisk
> astdbdir => /var/lib/asterisk
> astkeydir => /var/lib/asterisk
> astdatadir => /usr/share/asterisk
> astagidir => /usr/share/asterisk/agi-bin
> astspooldir => /var/spool/asterisk
> astrundir => /var/run/asterisk
> astlogdir => /var/log/asterisk

> Some extra information:

> - My asterisk version is Asterisk 1.6.2.5-0ubuntu1.1 built by buildd @
> palmer on a i686 running Linux on 2010-07-16 13:24:33 UTC

So 'dialplan reload' would be the proper command to just reload the
dialplan.

> - I am not able to verify the symlink between the two extensions.conf
> files

If you edit one and your edits don't magically appear in the other, they
are not linked.

The 'ls' command can also be use to confirm 'linkness.'

When you do a 'dialplan show' do you see lines like:

     1. mumble-mumble [pbx_config]

or

     1. mumble-mumble [pbx_ael]

or both?

(pbx_config means extensions.conf, pbx_ael means extensions.ael)

--
Thanks in advance,