[asterisk-users] 5-7 second delay in connecting outgoing FXO calls

Frank Tarczynski ftarz at mindspring.com
Fri Jan 14 09:05:06 CST 2011

> I'm running AsteriskNow 1.7.1 with a OpenVox 2FXO/2FXS card, SPA942 SIP
> phone and outgoing SIP and IAX routes.
>
> When I dial local PSTN numbers from the SPA942 using the FXO channels I
> observe a 5-7 second delay between when the PSTN number answers the call
> and when Asterisk connects the call at my end.  There's enough delay
> time that I hear an additional ring after the PSTN number has answered
> the call.  I've had people hang-up since they don't hear anything when
> they answer my calls.
>
> If I try the exact same call using an IAX route, the call is connected
> at my end just as soon as the PSTN number answers.
>
> I don't have any connection delays for incoming FXO calls.  They are
> connected as soon as I answer the calls.
>
> Can anyone give me some pointers on where to start looking?
>
> Frank
>

> Two possible "answers" - #1 you have somehow got tonedur set to a value in
> the 100's (should be around 80) #2 you're calling a cell phone - this takes
> an extra 3-4 seconds.

I have toneduration set as toneduration=80 in chan_dahdi.conf.  Is there
a tonedur parameter too?  And I have this problem with both calls to
cell phone and fixed landlines.  I only have the delay when calling out
over a FXO trunk; no delay issue is seen using the exact same hardware
but calling out over an IAX trunk.

Any other ideas?

Frank