[asterisk-users] problems inserting dahdi modules using Debian Leni

Shaun Ruffell sruffell at digium.com
Tue Jan 4 19:21:41 CST 2011

On 01/04/2011 05:09 PM, covici at ccs.covici.com wrote:
> Hi.  I have a Debian Leni system  with asterisk-1.8.  I was trying to
> get meetme to work and it depends on dahdi, so I compiled dahdi-trunk
> and dahdi-tools-trunk, however, when trying to insert dahdi_dummy, it
> complained about symbol crc_ccitt_table, although the module was
> actually there in the kernel tree.  So, I took the Debian source, and I
> had the config and I did make Bzimage, make modules and make
> modules_install, but dahdi_dummy still complains about the same symbol,
> it says no version for that symbol, so I am confused as to how to
> resolve this so I can modprobe dahdi_dummy properly.
>
> Any ideas would be appreciated.

First off, I recommend using dahdi-linux 2.4.0 *without* compiling
dahdi_dummy.  A dummy span is no longer needed for DAHDI to provide a
timing source to asterisk.

But you'll still need crc_ccitt module for dahdi to load, so that
doesn't fix the problem as you describe here.

If you rebuilt your kernel (which probably wasn't necessary...) you need
to reboot into the new kernel, then rebuild DAHDI against your running
kernel in order to load.  Sounds like you have built DAHDI against one
version of the kernel and you're running against another one.

Also...make sure you're using "modprobe" and not "insmod" to load the
driver...so that crc_ccitt will automatically be loaded as a dependency.

For example you can see it automatically loaded here (and how
dahdi_dummy isn't needed for timing).

]# lsmod | grep crc_ccitt
]# dahdi_test -c 1
Unable to open dahdi interface: No such file or directory
]# modprobe dahdi
]# lsmod | grep crc_ccitt
crc_ccitt              10240  1 dahdi
]# dahdi_test -c 5
Opened pseudo dahdi interface, measuring accuracy...
99.998% 99.981% 99.990% 99.990% 99.991%
--- Results after 5 passes ---
Best: 99.998 -- Worst: 99.981 -- Average: 99.990100, Difference: 99.990101
]#

Hope this helps,
Shaun

--