[asterisk-users] Problems using Background within a macro on V 1.4

Paddy Grice paddy at wizaner.com
Wed Feb 2 17:42:51 CST 2011

Hi List

I have had a look at the various posts on this and seem to be more confused
than ever - but then again that's not hard ;-)

I am using Version 1.4.33.1 build from the Debian "lenny" distros

I am trying to implement a simple screening

[macro-screen]
exten => s,1,Background(press1)
exten => s,n,WaitExten(5)
exten => 1,1,NoOp(accepted) ; Dont set a reply so dial connects
exten => i,1,Set(MACRO_RESULT=CONTINUE)
exten => t,1,Set(MACRO_RESULT=CONTINUE)

[test]
exten => _1234,1,Dial(SIP/2001,10,M(screen))
exten => _1234,n,playback(sorry,noanswer)

This config plays to the caller "sorry" if I don't answer SIP/2001 - good
and if I answer SIP/2001 but don't press ANY key (so timeout) the caller
gets the sorry message - again good.

The problem I have is that the call gets connected whatever key I press -
not just the "1" key.

I have seen various posts about using background within macros e.g.
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+cmd+BackGround

but changing the macro to

[macro-screen]
exten => s,1,Background(press1,,screen)

or - I am not clear what the name should be

[macro-screen]
exten => s,1,Background(press1,,macro-screen)

just produces the same result - If I can get this working it will be part of
a bigger dialplan for which the followme app is not suitable hence the back
to basics

can anybody point me in the right direction - pleeese :-)

Paddy