[asterisk-users] fromstring in voicemail.conf

Matthew Jordan mjordan at digium.com
Fri Dec 16 12:57:43 CST 2011

----- Original Message -----

When you say per context basis, are you talking about multiple contexts for voicemail users?  Or multiple voicemail settings contexts?  app_voicemail only reads global settings from a single context - [general].  Hence, global settings are only defined in that context.  I'm assuming by "fromstring" you mean the setting "email".

> Would it be possible to set this option in the general section to a
> channel variable, then set the variable as the call is on the way
> in?

What would that buy you?  app_voicemail does not expect to read its application specific settings from a channel variable.

> Any other way?

Yes.

> OR am I just stuck with one single fromstring for all voice mails
> forever?

No.  Each mailbox you define in voicemail.conf (or alternatively, users.conf) can override settings that were set in the [global] settings context.  This includes email, emailbody, and emailsubject (at least in versions 1.8 and greater).

http://ofps.oreilly.com/titles/9780596517342/asterisk-Voicemail.html