[asterisk-users] A few (simple?) questions

Carlos Alvarez carlos at televolve.com
Wed Dec 14 09:12:42 CST 2011

On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 2:18 AM, Brynjolfur Thorvardsson <binni at itanet.nu>wrote:

> **
>
> I’ve been saddled with recreating a running Asterisk PBX setup (with Ruby
> on Rails). Due to some wrangling between my client and the original
> developers I am not able to talk to the developers themselves but have been
> given full SSH access to their servers!

Jumping in without documentation or help when there is a questionable
relationship between the client and developer...this should be a lot of fun.

> ****
>

> The system offers PBX services to  ~10 small firms and connects via a SIP
> trunk to a Telecoms company.

Sounds way over-built, but since we don't know the intent of the
architecture nor all the features expected, hard to say.

> ****
>
> -          **STUN server – is it necessary (given that there are many
> free STUN servers on the Internet), and why two?

I don't believe so.

> **-          **Why have a separate Asterisk server for the trunk?

Can't think of any reason.

> ****
>
> **-          **Is the Apache Message Queue server necessary?

"Necessary" is not something that can be answered.  In their environment as
programmed, probably.  In general, can an Asterisk server run without it?
 Yes.  A low-end single x86 server can easily support hundreds of endpoints
and dozens of concurrent calls, with all Asterisk services running on a
single server.

> **

Do you have Asterisk expertise already?  RoR, SQL, other telephony...?

--
Carlos Alvarez
TelEvolve