[asterisk-users] seeding an originated number in a SIP phone [was: Re: Thunderbird extension using AMI to dial]

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Mon Aug 29 08:05:30 CDT 2011

On 08/28/2011 01:56 AM, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 07:36:53PM +0100, Chris Hastie wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I've just added direct support for AMI to a forthcoming version of
>> TBDialOut, a Thunderbird extension for dialling direct from
>> Thunderbird's address book. If anyone fancies testing it I'd be grateful
>> for any feedback. If you feel like casting a critical eye over the code,
>> or doing some translating, even better.
>>
>> AMI support is available in TBDialOut 1.7.0pre1, which can be found
>> either at http://www.oak-wood.co.uk/tbdialout/ or from the 'Development
>> channel' at the bottom of the page at
>> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/tbdialout/
>
> We already have a dialer script (sent to this list a while ago) so it's
> good to see that this extension support that simpler option as well (I
> don't use ThunderBird, as you can see. Some others in the office do use
> it).
>
> One followup question: I originate a call from a SIP phone to some
> remote number. The problem is that the number will not show up properly
> in the list of outgoing calls for the phone. Any idea how to fix this
> (for whatever SIP phone)?

You aren't originating a call *from* the phone (that would require some
sort of API into the phone itself to make it place a call). You are
originating a call *to* the phone and also to another endpoint; as far
as the SIP phone is concerned, this is an incoming call.

I've never seen discussion of a desire to provide a method for an
incoming call to be treated as if the endpoint had placed the call
itself in any of the SIP discussion lists I frequent... so I'm pretty
sure there's no standard way to do this.

--
Kevin P. Fleming