[asterisk-users] Good, inexpensive wireless VOIP handsets ?

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Sat Aug 27 04:14:24 CDT 2011

On Sat, 27 Aug 2011, Alan Lord (News) wrote:

> On 26/08/11 19:02, linux guy wrote:
>> I'm looking for 4 to 6 good, inexpensive VOIP handsets for my home
>> asterisk system.
>
> We've been using the Siemens Gigaset 685IP range for over three years and I'm
> (still) very pleased with them:

+1

The base station is separate from the handsets - which is typically
different from most DECT setups - the plus point is that you can position
the base in a good location - ie. high on a wall, rather than anywhere
else. Another plus is that the base has a single built-in ATA, so it can
connect to the home PSTN line. The base also has an Ethernet socket to
connect to the LAN and it can have up to 6 SIP accounts - each handset (up
to 6) can be configured to ring on a particular SIP account or many SIP
accounts and/or the PSTN line. Each handset has a default SIP account (or
PSTN) to make outgoing calls on, but you can select any other SIP account
or the PSTN by appending a code to the number you dial.

They are very flexible - and being DECT, have superb range.

I've installed many of these for my customers - typically the home office
types - where they only want one phone on their desk - so the same handset
can answer their home phone or their office SIP account, while providing
wireless handsets throughout the rest of the house.

A limitation is that one base can only handle 2 simultaneous SIP calls
(plus a call via the PSTN), so if 2 phones are in-use, then the system
can't take a 3rd call, however that's rarely a limitation in a domestic
environment.

Gordon