[asterisk-users] FAX Issues

Ryan McGuire rdmcguire01 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 17:15:50 CDT 2011

Unless your network is under load and you are seeing dropped packets
and high jitter, I would absolutely not do T.38. The cheapest and
easiest approach that I have found is to buy yourself an FXS gateway
and just make sure you are using ulaw.

Is this for personal use, or for business use? One feature that you
may want to utilize is fax tone detection if you only have a single
incoming line. If you use fax tone detection you can send the call
directly to your FXS gateway.

I've successfully faxed through my SIP provider as well as through an
FXO gateway going to a DOCSIS modem (consumer grade "digital voice").
TDM and POTS are really synonymous by the way, TDM is just a more
specific acronym (time-division multiplexing). You need not worry
about the details though, if you are simply doing inband passthrough
and you are using 711u on your VOIP legs you should be fine... YMMV of
course.

-Ryan