[asterisk-users] FAX Issues

C F shmaltz at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 16:21:28 CDT 2011

On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 3:38 PM, Sassy Natan <sassyn at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I would like to make sure I got it right:
> 1. Asterisk 1.4 doesn't support FAX support. It do however works if u sent
> fax from the PSTN and have anther FAX machine answer to it even if it is
> behind asterisk. This works like any regular phone, and as far as I know
> this mode known as T.38 pass through.

No its not T.38 pass through. T.38 pass through is only if the 2 end
points negotiated T.38, i.e. a provider that supports T.38 and an ATA
that supports T.38. What you are describing will most likely fail if
there is any VoIP in between, and should succeed over pure TDM using
digium or similar cards.

> 2. If u want asterisk 1.4 to able to sent and receive emails you will have
> to patch the source code using the spandsp patches. There are some other
> ways to make this work like using  IAX, hylafax  but I need to know if this
> is true. This mode is what know to be as NVFAX detected

asterisk doesn't have the ability to send or receive emails. It does
have the ability to use something like sendmail to send/receive
emails.
I'm assuming its a typo and you meant faxes.
What exactly are you trying to accomplish? If you need to know
something go ahead and try/test it and report back. After all that is
what we all did to be able to answer it. Apparently the fact that
others tried it and told you that it works still warrants a
question:"I need to know if this is true"

> 3. Now version 1.6 support Fax in a better way then 1.4. There is app_fax.c
> in the source code. Can someone please tell me what does this apps do?

I assume you meant than not then, but I'm not sure if its a typo, you
might just not know.
app_fax.c does faxing. The question is what are YOU trying to do?

> 4. Version 1.8 as two modes: SpanDSP mode and some other method, what is
> the different between then.... can someone please help?

Whats the other mode?