[asterisk-users] FAX Issues

Sassy Natan sassyn at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 14:38:28 CDT 2011

Hi,

I would like to make sure I got it right:

1. Asterisk 1.4 doesn't support FAX support. It do however works if u sent
fax from the PSTN and have anther FAX machine answer to it even if it is
behind asterisk. This works like any regular phone, and as far as I know
this mode known as T.38 pass through.
2. If u want asterisk 1.4 to able to sent and receive emails you will have
to patch the source code using the spandsp patches. There are some other
ways to make this work like using  IAX, hylafax  but I need to know if this
is true. This mode is what know to be as NVFAX detected

3. Now version 1.6 support Fax in a better way then 1.4. There is app_fax.c
in the source code. Can someone please tell me what does this apps do?

4. Version 1.8 as two modes: SpanDSP mode and some other method, what is
the different between then.... can someone please help?

Thanks
Sassy