[asterisk-users] Discussion: Are we ready to leave 1.4 behind?

Danny Nicholas danny at debsinc.com
Fri Apr 29 15:43:11 CDT 2011

To add another shilling to the pot -

Asterisk as a whole and 1.4 specifically is a very good product.  Problems
are introduced (IMHO) when y'all take something that works perfectly well
and try to over-engineer it as a "release bell-and-whistle" instead of an
add-on.  Voicemail and Multi-tenant parking are great examples that come to
mind.  If you're a clunker like me, you would rather keep everything in text
files and use AGI's to do bell-and-whistle stuff.  But NOOO - you have to
disable these new "features" because the developer was so hot to get it into
the new release that he (that's a "royal he") puts it up for inclusion and
we give 1000 users a bad impression of the new release when he could have
made it an add-on and more thoroughly tested it and gave us all that 3 days
of sleep we will never get back.