[asterisk-users] Discussion: Are we ready to leave 1.4 behind?

Richard Zheng rzheng at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 15:17:00 CDT 2011

> > Now imagine that 1.4 stays at only security level. For first case we
> > have 2 options: upgrading for security reasons to last version but
> > then no more voicemail, or staying with 1.4.26. In the second case,
> > upgrading both servers to test with 1.8. If it's still not working, it
> was time
> > loose beside other problems.
>
> If there are obvious regressions in major functionality such as voicemail,
> I'm more than happy to still consider making fixes for those problems during
> the "security maintenance" period.  It has to be pretty clear, though, and
> in this particular case, it is.
>
> Voicemail has been through several issues. Can't remember the details, we
experienced issues when imap was added. It broke the file based voicemails
even when imap was not used. As long as major bugs, like this and deadlocks
are taken care of during the 'security maintenance' period, most people are
happy. New features should be only added as a separate patch for risk
takers. The main branch should be major bugs only.