[asterisk-users] Asterisk 1.6.2.18 Now Available

Matt Riddell lists at venturevoip.com
Thu Apr 28 18:26:07 CDT 2011

On 29/04/11 11:19 AM, Jan Bakuwel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm about to deliver a production system based on Debian Squeeze and
> Asterisk 1.6.2.9-2+squeeze1 from the Debian repositories. Asterisk 1.8
> packages for Debian&  Ubuntu are available from packages.asterisk.org.
> Observing some recent discussions on this list, it seems that 1.8 might
> not yet be ready for production use. Would whoever kindly makes the
> Asterisk 1.8 packages available also consider doing that for 1.6
> releases? If the build environment has been set up for 1.8, I'd imagine
> it would be easy to set up something similar for 1.6 releases?

You shouldn't put *any* system into production unless you have a clear
list of what features you will be providing, and have a way of testing
that those features work :-)

If you do this then every update can be tested to work with those
features, and a customer's system shouldn't crash, no matter what
version you're using.  As I've said 1.8 is working under these
circumstances for me in production.

One thing I'll note though is that as time goes on and you get better at
these types of things you'll come up with some pretty crazy tests - and
still customers will do things you couldn't possibly have thought to test.

So, long story short I recommend:

1. Make a list of the applications and modules you'll be using and a
list of ways they'll be used.

2. Disable everything else

3. Test these apps/functions in the most intense way you can think of

4. Move the system to production.

The thing here is that if you're able to provide the same system to
multiple customers then it doesn't end up being such a crazy list of
things to check.

--
Cheers,

Matt Riddell