[asterisk-users] asterisk practices

Jan Bakuwel jan.bakuwel at omiha.com
Thu Apr 28 18:10:23 CDT 2011

Hi Vip,

On 28/04/11 05:34, vip killa wrote:
> I just completed building a feature rich asterisk voicemail system
> using perl, php, and mysql.
> My only concern is that the system i built will not be able to handle
> the call volume needed. Let me start by explaining my setup.
>
> Incoming call -> route.agi (perl -> mysql lookup) -> AGI ->
> voicemailbox (using mysql odbc) or terminate with wrong number message
>
> if a message is left in a voicemailbox the following happens:
> externnotify -> notify.pl <http://notify.pl> (perl -> mysql lookup) ->
> up to 2 calls originated (using AMI), up to 4 emails sent out (with up
> to 2 attachemnts of voicemail)
>
> this system may need to handle up to 50 concurrent calls. the
> "notify.pl <http://notify.pl>" script may be called several times a
> second.
> My question is, will asterisk be able to handle calling the "notify.pl
> <http://notify.pl>" script that many times? or is there a better way
> to handle large volumes of voicemail notification, thank you in
> advance for your input.

How long is a piece of string? :-)

It all depends on the performance of your hardware.

Generally speaking external scripts do have a performance impact so if
you find out that your system won't handle the amount of concurrent
calls you can either find the bottleneck in your hardware (most likely
disc I'd say) and fix that or move logic from your external scripts to
the dialplan.

cheers,
Jan