[asterisk-users] Discussion: Are we ready to leave 1.4 behind?

Paul Belanger pabelanger at digium.com
Thu Apr 28 18:02:47 CDT 2011

On 11-04-28 06:39 PM, Ira wrote:
> I would comment that I've been complaining about this since RC1 or 2 and
> if you just fixed it in 2 hours that there is something seriously wrong
> with the bug tracking system.  I mean, I reported it a long time ago and
> while it was probably not the best bug report ever, I would have been
> more than willing to do almost anything to help fix it.

No, I don't believe the issue tracker is seriously broken but understand
there are over 920 open issues at the moment. To be honest, I only
looked at the code because of a personal interest to learn more about
chan_sip.c and because of the power outages happening at Digium.

jsmith in #asterisk-dev summed it up best a few months ago:

It's open source software -- so if you want a change made, you have
three basic choices:
    1) Scratch your own itch
    2) Pay someone else to scratch your itch
    3) Convince someone else that it's their itch as well, and be
patient until they scratch your itch

> I know what beta
> tester means, I've beta tested disk defraggers and disk caches and lost
> everything when they had the wrong bug and I know it can take a few
> tries to both fix the bug and for someone to help me identify it so they
> have an idea of where to look. Personally I'd just assumed that 1.8 was
> going to stay broken as no one seemed to care and was really happy when
> trunk worked as that meant I could move on.

+1 for testers.  Sometimes the majority of the work is just reproducing
the issue. And I said this before, if you can reproduce the issue and
automate it, I'll take the required steps to help merge the test into
the testsuite.

--
Paul Belanger
Digium, Inc. | Software Developer