[asterisk-users] DTMF not being sent ( RFC2833 )

David asterisk.org at spam.lublink.net
Sat Apr 23 10:48:10 CDT 2011

Hello,

I installed Asterisk 1.6.2.17.3 ( latest as of yesterday ) and had multiple problems with DTMF.

I have two machines, we'll call them asterisk and asterisk-pri. Asterisk does IVR and asterisk-pri has a PRI card in it and connects to the PSTN. The two servers communicate via SIP with RFC2833.

I setup logger.conf on both machines to display DTMF to the console. Both are built from source.
Asterisk : spandsp, dahdi, asterisk.
Asterisk-pri : spandsp, libpri, dahdi, asterisk wanpipe

I eliminated AGI, hard phones, network et al by setting up this extension :

exten => 22,1,Dial(SIP/114186939930 at pri1.omnity.net,30,D(132412983#))

in default.

The only other non default setting is in sip.conf I added a outboundproxy ( which does NOT do RTP, only SIP ).

I called asterisk from my hard phone ( gxp2000 ) by dialing 22.

I see the console DTMF messages indicating the DTMF was sent or received. ( I forgot to keep this output ).

I than watch the console DTMF output on asterisk-pri and it showed about half the DTMFs. The pager that was called showed the DTMFs that appeared on the asterisk-pri console.

So somewhere between the two machines, the DTMFs have disappeared. So I ran TCPDump on asterisk and saw that close to half of the DTMF events were never sent.

tcpdump -i eth0 -n -s 0 dst asterisk-pri-ip -vvv -w ~/dtmf.pcap

I imported the file into wireshark on my local machine and confirmed that the dump almost matches what I saw on asterisk-pri.

So, problem 1 : Asterisk is not sending all the DTMFs to asterisk-pri.

I compared the packet scan to what I saw on asterisk-pri and noticed that between 1 and 3 dtmfs were missing.

Problem 2 : Asterisk-pri loses some received DTMFs.

I also noticed that some of the DTMFs coming out of asterisk had the wrong Event Duration. I had one DTMF with a duration of about 58000 ( I believe that's 58 seconds ) but I only pressed the button for like 1/3 of a second.

What I do not understand is that I in my final test last night was using asterisk 1.6 current with centos ( os that asterisk is developed on from my understanding ) with all default settings ( excluding logger.conf, dialplan and outboundproxy ) and I am having problems with the DTMF.

Both servers were installed with CentOS 5.5 and were updated last night, after which I reinstalled asterisk. This did not resolve the issue.

I am at wit's end and do not know where to go from here. I would really appreciate it if someone could give me some pointers on where to go next, what additionnal debugging steps I should perform. I would also really appreciate if someone could propose a solution.

Please help!

David

Never give up, never surrender