[asterisk-users] Occasional call from "asterisk"

Danny Nicholas danny at debsinc.com
Mon Apr 11 08:52:15 CDT 2011

  _____

From: asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com
[mailto:asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com] On Behalf Of Brian Henning
Sent: Monday, April 11, 2011 8:47 AM
To: 'Asterisk Users Mailing List - Non-Commercial Discussion'
Subject: Re: [asterisk-users] Occasional call from "asterisk"

Bruce B said:

We experience exact same thing on DAHDI with Sangoma USB FXO device on short
circuited lines. Phantom calls are actually due to a short in the lines that
happen occasionally.

-Bruce

Also, Warren Selby said:

I've seen this on cases where a "phantom" call comes in on a DAHDI channel -
these calls were the results of faulty wiring on the part of the telco.
Check your logs for any errors on your DAHDI channels around the time of the
"ghost" calls.

It could also be a case of someone calls in and then hangs up before the
call is actually passed to asterisk, and the telco is just slow to hangup
the call.

Hmmmm.  I do see this in the /var/log/asterisk/messages log:

[Apr  5 00:05:36] NOTICE[9579] chan_dahdi.c: Got event 4 (Alarm)...

[Apr  5 00:05:38] NOTICE[9579] chan_dahdi.c: Got event 5 (No more alarm)...

[Apr  5 00:05:38] NOTICE[9579] chan_dahdi.c: Got event 17 (Polarity
Reversal)...

[Apr  5 00:05:41] WARNING[2400] chan_dahdi.c: Detected alarm on channel 3:
Red Alarm

[Apr  5 00:05:42] NOTICE[2400] chan_dahdi.c: Alarm cleared on channel 3

[Apr  5 00:05:51] WARNING[2400] chan_dahdi.c: Detected alarm on channel 2:
Red Alarm

[Apr  5 00:05:53] NOTICE[2400] chan_dahdi.c: Alarm cleared on channel 2

.and it appears to coincide directly with an 'asterisk' entry in my SIP
phone's missed call log.

Our wiring is sketchy; this is known at our facility.  Some years ago a
backhoe severed the entire trunk and the repair work was of questionable
quality.  Also our service entry point / punch-down area is a rat's nest
(one building and service is shared by three companies).  I guess I can
chalk this behavior up to the wiring.

Thanks for the input!

Cheers,

~Brian

[Danny Nicholas]

I'll add another vote to "shoot the phone company" - our wiring goes to heck
whenever it rains and we can expect a few 'phantom calls" from Asterisk.