[asterisk-users] MWI not working on most ATAs in Asterisk 1.6.2.17

Benny Amorsen benny+usenet at amorsen.dk
Mon Apr 11 02:26:08 CDT 2011

maillist at lightspeed.ca writes:

> We've had several customers report since upgrading them to our new
> Asterisk 1.6.2.17 server (from version 1.4), that their MWI no longer
> works. No significant changes have been made to their SIP
> configuration, nor to their ATA configuration.

My testing of 1.6.2.17 as well as the svn branch of 1.6.2 a few weeks
ago indicated that MWI was fairly broken. I managed to get it working
somewhat reasonably on Snom phones with a combination of subscribemwi=no
(despite the fact that the Snom phones subscribe for MWI!?),
pollmailboxes=yes and pollfreq=30 (despite the fact that we have nothing
but Asterisk touching the voicemail files).

In the testing, I managed to get Asterisk to flood the phones with tens
or maybe hundreds of MWI's by simply leaving one voice mail.

No, I have not had time to file bugs, we simply did a fall back to
1.6.0.28 + a lot of patches. It was not the most serious bug anyway; the
larger problem is that Asterisk deadlocks.

/Benny