[asterisk-users] MWI not working on most ATAs in Asterisk 1.6.2.17

maillist at lightspeed.ca maillist at lightspeed.ca
Wed Apr 6 13:11:41 CDT 2011

We've had several customers report since upgrading them to our new
Asterisk 1.6.2.17 server (from version 1.4), that their MWI no longer
works. No significant changes have been made to their SIP
configuration, nor to their ATA configuration.

While not exhaustive, these are the ATAs that don't work:

Linksys SPA2102
Linksys PAP2T-3.1.15
Thomson 780
Thomson 784

Unfortunately, this doesn't bode well for us, since these represent
the vast majority of our customers. I did manage to find one ATA that
does work without a hitch on the new server, a Sipura SPA2002. Which
of course, is discontinued.

The Thomsons coincidentally, never worked on our old server either,
but they're here because if someone knows how to make them work, we'd
be very happy.

I know that by default, Asterisk will send SIP NOTIFY messages to the
ATA to inform it of waiting messages, and I see those notify messages
being sent, but somehow something goes wrong from there.

Any information about further troubleshooting this problem will be
very welcome.