[asterisk-users] Call recording - methodology

Dan Journo dan at keshercommunications.com
Wed Apr 6 06:29:06 CDT 2011

> I am looking for a solution to record calls that come into our Asterisk

> server. I am hoping for something that is easy to use - however, if I

> have to modify it to make it easier to use, I do not mind.

> Does anyone know of any opensource or otherwise solutions out there that

> I can try out?

We give our clients to option of either recording all calls, or allowing the operator to press *1 during a call to start recording manually.

Using Asterisk 1.4, this is what we do:-

We created a Macro in extensions.conf like this:-

      [macro-mixmon]

      exten => s,1,GotoIf($["${XAD}" = "0" | "${XAD}" = ""]?startrec:donothing)

      exten => s,n(startrec),GotoIf($["${ARG1}"=""]?beep:nobeep)

      exten => s,n(beep),Playback(/var/lib/asterisk/sounds/rec1)

      exten => s,n(nobeep),Set(XAD=1)

      exten => s,n,MixMonitor(FILENAME.wav,b)

      exten => s,n(donothing),MacroExit

(please note, FILENAME.wav is usually ${UNIQUEID:0:10}, but I changed it to make it easier for you to understand. You'll need to change it back to something like ${UNIQUEID:0:10}.wav if you are recording multiple calls because otherwise they'll be constantly saved to FILENAME.wav and you'll lose all the previous calls.)

(please note, /var/lib/asterisk/sounds/rec1 is a beep tone so that the operator knows that he's successfully started the recording.)

Then to recording every call, we add this before the DIAL(SIP/extension) command in extensions.conf:-

      exten => _9.,14,Macro(mixmon,nobeep)

If you don't want to record every call, you can give the operator the option of press *1. We did this by adding the following to features.conf:-

      MixMonApp => *1,self/both,Macro,mixmon

Hope that helps.

Dan Journo
Kesher Communications (UK)