[asterisk-users] Asterisk 1.62.13 - CPU spikes every 10 minutes - NOT FIXED

Shaun Ruffell sruffell at digium.com
Tue Sep 28 14:36:38 CDT 2010

On 09/28/2010 02:06 PM, Mike wrote:
> Thanks, don`t think I don't appreciate all your time, I really do.  So
> you`re saying it's possibly just fake smoke from a non-existent fire, and
> that nothing is actually wrong despite a high load one one of the CPUs?
>
> That`s what it really is: I am seeing smoke and am looking for a fire, maybe
> I'm just being paranoid.  That`s what trending and SNMP alarms are for I
> suppose ;-)

Perhaps.  It's certainly my best guess based on what you've said.

Something else you could do without two much trouble to shift things
around and perhaps change what you're seeing is force all the wct4xxp
interrupt onto a single CPU and tell IRQ balance to not use that CPU for
it's normal work.

i.e. looking at the output from 'cat /proc/interrupts' that you provided
before I see that the wct4xxp driver is attached to IRQ 177.  So in
/etc/sysconfig/irqbalance set:

IRQBALANCE_BANNED_INTERRUPTS=177
IRQBALANCE_BANNED_CPUS=8

to prevent irqbalance from using CPU3 or trying to balance IRQ 177, and
then

echo 8 > /proc/irq/177/smp_affintity

To force IRQ 177 onto CPU3 exclusively. Restart irqbalance and after
which the quad span should only be interrupting on CPU3 and the other
three cores are free to handle all the other ones.

It would be interesting to know if you still % hi spikes every 10
minutes like this.

--
Shaun Ruffell
Digium, Inc. | Linux Kernel Developer