[asterisk-users] Asterisk as a distributed paging system

Sebastian shop at open-t.co.uk
Mon Sep 27 15:28:02 CDT 2010

On 09/22/2010 05:49 PM, Matteo Fortini wrote:
> I'm building a paging system composed of roughly 10 switches in daisy
> chain, with an embedded box with a speaker and a microphone for each
> switch. The embedded box runs my software.

I'm not sure if this is much use to your setup - but I've implemented a
public announcement system (in UK sometimes called tannoy) using a pc
and a pair of loud speakers. I used linphonec command line sip client -
with auto-answer set. This has the disadvantage, of course, that it
can't be used as a phone as well, to make phone calls from the machine
driving the speakers (unless you install another sip client) - just as a
speaker. You might be able to run linphonec on an embedded platform as
well - with a speaker attached. I know there were some compiled for the
NSLU2/arm platform already. You will have to combine it with Page() to
get multiple nodes working at the same time. I only used one.

I did a write-up here - see if you find any useful information:

http://forum.voxilla.com/asterisk-support-forum/asterisk-public-announcement-system-loud-ringer-bell-49339.html

Sebastian