[asterisk-users] best format for playback/generation

Danny Nicholas danny at debsinc.com
Fri Sep 24 11:52:30 CDT 2010

Greetings fellow listers,

                                  I have an application where I have
approximately 300 files that I playback individually or in blocks to
simulate "text-to-speech" in a "less mechanical" voice than normal Allison
files provide.  These files are presently in GSM format and sound pretty
good when I play them on my computer speakers or on my in-house Polycom
501's over SIP connections.  The "problem" I have is that the intended use
of the application is going to be over SIP/DAHDI trunks that will connect to
VM's over IAX trunks.  What is your best suggestion for maintaining the
quality of the audio as much as possible?

Best Case presently - SIP phone in-house to IAX

Worst Case presently - Cell phone calls Asterisk 1 on TDM400P which connects
to VM Asterisk 2 via IAX.

Asterisk version is 1.4.30

Thanks in Advance

Danny Nicholas