[asterisk-users] http://www.asterisk.org/downloads naming schema

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Wed Sep 22 11:00:51 CDT 2010

On 09/22/2010 10:55 AM, Steve Howes wrote:
> On 22 Sep 2010, at 16:45, Klaus Darilion wrote:
>> Since some time the download of the newest Asterisk does not contains
>> the version number anymore, but is just called "asterisk-1.4-current.tar.gz"
>>
>> This gives me a tarball where I do not know the version without looking
>> into the tarball.
>>
>> Thus, IMO it would be very useful to switch back to old schema war the
>> download contained the version number.
>
> http://downloads.asterisk.org/pub/telephony/asterisk/

You can either download the 'newest version', or you can download a
specific version. If your tell your browser to download
asterisk-1-4.current.tar.gz, the server can't tell your browser to
actually give that file a different name after downloading it...
although it's possible we could come up with some creative HTTP redirect
mechanism that redirected your browser to the version-numbered filename,
instead of using a symbolic link on the filesystem.

--
Kevin P. Fleming
skype: kpfleming | jabber: kfleming at digium.com