[asterisk-users] http://www.asterisk.org/downloads naming schema

Gareth Blades list-asterisk at skycomuk.com
Wed Sep 22 10:58:57 CDT 2010

Klaus Darilion wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Since some time the download of the newest Asterisk does not contains
> the version number anymore, but is just called "asterisk-1.4-current.tar.gz"
>
> This gives me a tarball where I do not know the version without looking
> into the tarball.
>
> Thus, IMO it would be very useful to switch back to old schema war the
> download contained the version number.
>
> Thanks
> Klaus

Its normally just a symbolic link to the current version. If you untar
the archive the directory name will represent the actual software version.
If you want to switch back to an old version then you are best off
keeping the uncompresssed and already compiled version anyway as you
know for sure you are reinstalling the older version exactly as it was
before.