[asterisk-users] 3rd party app store

Rod Montgomery rmontgomery at digium.com
Mon Sep 20 21:41:40 CDT 2010

Thanks, Dean. I was able to listen to that conference live.
Digium's current licensing server has some limitations that make it
unsuitable for general use. We are investigating options to improve
the licensing platform, but have nothing to announce today. Even if
we did, it would be only one missing component to a one-stop
Asterisk software store.

We'd also need a universal packaging format. AsteriskNOW (currently
on CentOS 5.5) is happy with yum-installable RPM packages. It would
be clean and simple for everyone to develop on that uniform image,
but there is a lot of variety out there. The initial release of
AsteriskNOW was on rPath Linux, which is marvelous for building
software appliances, but unfamiliar to, well, everyone. Unlike a
strictly controlled iPhone environment, there is no one solution
that would work well for Asterisk developers.

It would also be useful to have a ton of end-user information like
iTMS gathered for years before the launch of the App Store. Part
of the genius is that the transactional barrier is so low: millions
have trusted Apple with payment details for music purchases, and
need only tap "Install" to charge another payment for an iPad app.
There must be hundred of thousands of installed Asterisk systems,
but we only know the ones that become Digium customers.

Also, there are a number of ways to build something marketable with
Asterisk. Custom channels or resources, clever dialplan, AGI scripts,
AMI-speaking services... it's often easier to incorporate Asterisk
as a dependency into a purpose-built software appliance than to
assume that Asterisk is at the center of the application's world.
We cannot be all things to all people, especially when so many
ecosystem partners are providing a service rather than a software
product.

Last but not least, Asterisk-based apps are not high-volume
consumer content. I just don't see many telephony apps selling at a
pace similar to music, movies, and games.

Then I look to the RHX example I mentioned earlier, in which our
friends at RedHat (and Novell before them) tried to become a hub of
commerce around their flagship platform. And they failed. Customers
didn't want a middleman. Customers wanted to be introduced to great
products and services, and to do business directly with those
third-party vendors. That's why AsteriskExchange is more a directory
than a storefront.

As a product manager, I can dream up a situation that imagines
Digium as the all-controlling Apple of the Asterisk world, and
conjures a ridiculously lucrative App Store that hauls in cash for
talented and lucky developers that align with us. I even have a
couple of black turtlenecks. But I am not convinced that more than
a few want to use our current licensing mechanism. I am not
convinced that the market wants Digium to be a central transaction
point. I am not convinced that Digium should aspire (or stoop?) to
that level of control.

I am, however, convinced that ecosystem partners want to be visible
to the Asterisk community. As Digium balances our goals of being a
good sponsor of Asterisk and a profitable company, we tread very
carefully on Asterisk.org. Perhaps keeping the goals apart is not
as important as we make it out to be. It clearly has its negatives:
keeping AsteriskExchange separate from Asterisk.org also separates
it from the heavier visitor traffic.

Does anyone reading this have an opinion on whether commercial
listings for complementary products and services should appear
directly on Asterisk.org?

rm
--
Rod Montgomery