[asterisk-users] Purpose of qualify=yes

Sebastian shop at open-t.co.uk
Thu Sep 16 14:00:03 CDT 2010

Hi,

On 09/16/2010 05:28 PM, Gareth Blades wrote:
> One of the main benefits of qualify=yes is to detect network problems
> with peers.
> We send a lot of calls via a service provider using SIP but we have
> qualify-yes set so that if it becomes unreachable the dial fails
> immediatly without having to wait for a timeout which enables us to
> seamlessly failover to an ISDN connection.

In have some experience with IAX qualify. Might not be of direct benefit
though to this particular thread. I have the following IAX peer as the
outgoing IAX trunk at one of my sites:

[outgoing_trunk]
type=peer
host=iax-out.our_iax_host.net
username=my_username
auth=plaintext
secret=my_password
qualify=no

To start with, I used qualify=yes. Which worked well for about 6 months.
But after that, the peer would become unavailable every few days - and
nobody could do outgoing calls. I would login remotely, and check that I
can ping ok the IAX provider. However, Asterisk kept on showing the peer
as unreachable even though it was clearly online. It looks to me like,
from time to time, the IAX provider would become unavailable for a
period of time (maybe maintenance at night) and Asterisk would just give
up after some retries, and mark it as unreachable. The problem is that
Asterisk wouldn't change its mind unless I did a full Asterisk restart.

After I turned off the qualify, no more problems. It looks like Asterisk
is searching now for the IAX provider every time a call is attempted -
so it doesn't matter if they are unavailable for a period of time.

At least this is the conclusions I have reached. So it seems that
sometimes qualify is not a good idea.

Sebastian