[asterisk-users] Purpose of qualify=yes

Peder peder at networkoblivion.com
Thu Sep 16 11:24:09 CDT 2010

qualify=2000 does not mean it sends a qualify every 2000ms, 2 seconds.  It
means that the qualify timeout is 2000ms, so if it receives a response at
2600ms, it counts that phone as down.  I believe the timing of qualifies is
still every 60 seconds, unless explicitly changed by the system admin:

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+sip+qualify

So 20 phones with qualify is 40 packets/minute (1 packet out and 1 packet in
per phone).

I've always liked qualify as it lets me know if a phone is alive or not,
even in non NAT scenarios.  If someone calls in and says "my phone doesn't
work", I can check the qualify and if it shows it down, have them reboot.
If it shows up, then I debug them trying to place a call.  It is just easy
extra help in troubleshooting.