[asterisk-users] How different is implementing Cisco based system than Asterisk based system?

Carlos Chavez cursor at telecomabmex.com
Tue Sep 14 17:10:20 CDT 2010

On Tue, 2010-09-14 at 15:56 -0400, Zeeshan Zakaria wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> Slightly off the list topic, but I hope I'll get some help here.
> Somebody wants me to implement for his project a Cisco based VoIP
> system. I told him that I specialize in Asterisk based systems, but he
> is not even aware of Asterisk. The requirement of project is such that
> chances are slim that this firm will consider Asterisk based system.
> So I told him that though not experienced specifically in Cisco, if
> they hire me I'll setup their VoIP on Cisco system.
>
> Now I have no previous experience with Cisco systems and don't want to
> screw up anything. Are they much different than Asterisk based
> systems? I guess the underlying VoIP technology is the same for both
> the systems so it shouldn't be hard to set it up on Cisco. Any ideas,
> suggestions. I'd appreciate your help as what to look for, where to
> start from. My experience with Cisco is limited to their networking
> equipment, IOS, their 7960 series phones and making them work with
> asterisk, and also using Cisco press's wonderful book 'Taking charge
> of Your VoIP Project'.

	I have a DCAP and CCNA certifications with a little training in Call
Manager.  Knowing Asterisk will NOT help you get a Cisco system up and
running plus you may not be even able to purchase a Cisco solution if
you are not certified by them (this changes from country to country).

Carlos Chávez Prats
Director de Tecnología
+52-55-91169161 ext 2001