[asterisk-users] How different is implementing Cisco based system than Asterisk based system?

David Backeberg dbackeberg at gmail.com
Tue Sep 14 15:09:59 CDT 2010

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 3:56 PM, Zeeshan Zakaria <zishanov at gmail.com> wrote:
> Now I have no previous experience with Cisco systems and don't want to screw
> up anything. Are they much different than Asterisk based systems? I guess
> the underlying VoIP technology is the same for both the systems so it
> shouldn't be hard to set it up on Cisco. Any ideas, suggestions. I'd
> appreciate your help as what to look for, where to start from. My experience
> with Cisco is limited to their networking equipment, IOS, their 7960 series
> phones and making them work with asterisk, and also using Cisco press's
> wonderful book 'Taking charge of Your VoIP Project'.

You don't mention anything about size or nature of the installation.
If these people want Cisco support, they'll have to buy this gear from
an official Cisco reseller, and that's when you'll get a ballpark
price for initial deployment, ongoing support, etc.

When you compare that to Asterisk, perhaps you'll have a convert. Or
maybe not. Decision makers have their reasons and clearly if price was
the only reason, Cisco / Avaya / etc. wouldn't still be selling phone
systems.