[asterisk-users] How to send SMS to Gigaset phones ?

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Mon Sep 13 08:29:28 CDT 2010

On Mon, 13 Sep 2010, Olivier wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Searching this list archives, I couldn't find a definitive answer to my
> question :
> how to send SMS to Gigaset phones ?
>
> My goal is to send Alert SMS such as "This phone system will be stopped in
> 5mn for maintenance" to every terminal (SIP phones and Gigaset DECT phones).
> (So at the moment, I'm not looking for way to send SMS from handsets).
>
> I could successfully send 1 short text message to 1 SIP hardphones (using
> sipsak) (I've not tried to send the same message to several phones and to
> see I could erase old messages form phone's screen) but failed with
> Gigasets.
>
> Which tool shall I use ? smsq ? sipsak ?
> It this matters, I'm using 1.4.35.

I think you're stuffed unless you use the analogue side of the Siemens
gigaset base stations - I'm fairly sure they can only take SMS messages
that way.

I'd suggest that you really ought to be sending SIP messages using the
SendText() command, however don't seem to respond to that anyway, and
other phones seem to have different ideas about what to do with them too
(to the extent that I abandoned it after some experiments - good idea if
you can stick to one phone type, bad if you've got many)

Gordon