[asterisk-users] SIP Channel naming conventions

Ishfaq Malik ish at pack-net.co.uk
Fri Oct 22 08:02:59 CDT 2010

Hi

I'm using asterisk 1.4.17 and have recently found an odd issue. When
processing the CDR data on outbound calls I've been using the channel
field to extract which sip extension has made the call as I was under
the impression that the channel name for SIP channels was always

SIP/<extension name>-<semi-unique-identifier>

This has worked fine for over a year but all of a sudden we have all
calls origination from one sip extension opening channels which have the
name of another sip extension in the channel name.

Is it just unreliable to use the channel name to find the extension name
or is there another issue here?

Thanks in advance

Ish
--