[asterisk-users] Detect incoming fax on PSTN and route to fax machine on DADHI extension?

sean darcy seandarcy2 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 17 08:29:20 CDT 2010

On Sun, Oct 17, 2010 at 3:59 AM, Olivier <oza_4h07 at yahoo.fr> wrote:
> mù:l;:kj,nb   hgyuè
>
> 2010/10/16 Frank Tarczynski <ftarz at mindspring.com>
>>
>>  I'm running an AsteriskNow V1.7.1 with both a PSTN connection and fax
>> machine.  Both are connected to a DAHDI board.  I'd like to route
>> incoming PSTN fax calls to the extension of the fax machine and process
>> non-fax calls through different dialplan.logic.
>>
>> What's the best way to go about doing this?  I've looked into Fax for
>> Asterisk, bit I'm not sure that I want it or NVFax detection.
>>
>> Any pointers to share?
>
> Hi,
>
> The trouble with using the same DID for both voice and fax calls is with the
> way fax priority seems to function, user experience is a bit rough:
> - user phone is ringing
> - user answers and hear a brief tone while fax detection happens
> - then user is hearing an hangup tone (while the fax is received in another
> channel)
>
> What is missing here is the possibility to playback a message to end user
> instead of playing a tone.
>
> If you find a way to work around this, please, do not hesitate to share.
>
> Regards

extensions.conf:

[incoming]
exten => fax,1,NoOp(Fax Detected)  ;; the fax line
exten => fax,n,GoTo(incoming-fax,s,1)
exten => fax,n,Hangup()            ;; the fax machine

exten =>s,1,Answer()
exten =>s,n,Wait(6)
exten =>s,n,Dial(${House_Phones},60)

You may still get one or two rings, so don't run to answer :-)

See:

https://issues.asterisk.org/view.php?id=17064

sean