[asterisk-users] fraud advice

Carlos Chavez cursor at telecomabmex.com
Fri Oct 15 11:51:01 CDT 2010

On Fri, 2010-10-15 at 07:29 -0700, Steve Edwards wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Oct 2010, bruce bruce wrote:
>
> > But it also sickens me at how badly Asterisk is made to not cope with
> > situations like this and worse than that is FreePBX.
>
> Kind of like blaming the gun manufacturer instead of the criminal with
> their finger on the trigger?
>
> Is there some gaping hole in Asterisk security or are you just asleep at
> the wheel?

	Asterisk is just doing what you tell it to do, process calls.  If you
have no authentication or route blocking how do you expect Asterisk to
know that there is a problem?

	I was just in a similar situation where someone guessed the username
and password of my SIP trunk.  The provider called me the next day to
tell me that they detected strange traffic on my line and asked if I was
making those calls.  Now that is good service from a provider.

Carlos Chávez Prats
Director de Tecnología
+52-55-91169161 ext 2001