[asterisk-users] fraud advice

Cary Fitch caryf at usawide.net
Thu Oct 14 21:43:45 CDT 2010

As a practical matter, on anything that can generate endless billings, there
should be a dumb trap that compares current usage to history (last month)
and if usage exceeds 2/1 or 3/1 for instance then usage is choked or denied
enough to cause the user to complain or perhaps generate a message to call
customer support, (or call your cell phone!)

Then if it is valid, raise last month's reference enough to let current
calling continue.  If it isn't valid you have found a problem and saved your
or your customer's caboose.

As to who to complain to, gather all info possible and report to everyone
you can find.  Someone may investigate, but there isn't likely anyone who
will absolve the problem.  Some will just take the report and ... as far as
you are concerned, do nothing.  There isn't much a local police dept. can do
about a hacker in Western Slobovia cracking your server.

Generally the FBI doesn't take matters of less than $10,000.  But it sounds
like you may meet that test.

But they could take months or years or never finding the culprit and finding
the culprit will likely net you nothing financial for you will be 1/10,000
of the fraud they did.

This is a problem like spam in email.  But this has cash costs to the server
operator/customer.  Passwords need to be un-crack-able, and there should be
usage alarms, as described above.

Depending on the situation even a single counter to your upstream billable
sip server for all usage would likely trip on excessive usage and save your
bacon.

Cary Fitch