[asterisk-users] Asterisk sharing a line with POTS handsets: how to interoperate cleanly?

Kyle Kienapfel doctor.whom at gmail.com
Wed Oct 6 11:49:44 CDT 2010

On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 1:40 PM, Roger Burton West <roger at firedrake.org>wrote:

> I now have an OpenVox A400P and it is working well. Thanks to Ade
> Vickers for the recommendation, which I second.
>
> However, I need to make a slow transition between a conventional
> multiple-extension setup and a full VoIP network on these premises. So
> at the moment the Asterisk box shares the PSTN connection with several
> conventional analogue handsets.
>
> The desired result for an incoming call is that the Asterisk server will
> wait N seconds before answering (which I can arrange easily enough), and
> if the call has been answered on one of the handsets by that time the
> Asterisk server should ignore it completely. Otherwise it should start
> checking CLID, prompting for extensions, and other good stuff, which
> again I know how to do.
>
> What is a good approach to making sure the Asterisk server doesn't pick
> up a call that has been answered elsewhere? (Ideally in pure dialplan,
> but a perl AGI would also do.)

> --

I'd start with noting down what happens by default. Then you'll know exactly
what behavior to target.

I was worried about similar issues with my SPA3102, but if I pick up a call
from a regular phone before it picks up, it just assumes the person on the
other end gave up. Also it wont pick up the line if it is in use.