[asterisk-users] Cisco SIP 8.5 and 9.0 Issues

JR Richardson jmr.richardson at gmail.com
Wed Oct 6 07:56:33 CDT 2010

> Hi list,
> I was wondering if anyone had any solution to either one of two issues
> I'm having:
> I have a cisco 7962G with the latest (from cisco) 8.5(4) SIP Firmware,
> it works very well for the most part, but after less then a week of
> heavy usage, eventually the phone gets into a state where it won't
> accept or let you place any more calls, the screen flashes "no free
> lines available" or something along those lines. (power cycle fixes this).
> So my preferred solution would be to upgrade to the v9.0(3) firmware,
> but when that's loaded, the phone won't register with Asterisk anymore,
> does anyone know if I need to adjust my .cnf.xml file, or is it a bug of
> some sort?
> Thanks for any input,
> --
> Gerard Saraber
> Network Admin.
> Rarcoa, Inc

Use Polycom, but if you really must use cisco phones, downgrade to 7.5.
I've got a lot of 79xx phones out there and 7.5 is the last stable release
as far as I'm concerned.  It just seems to work, no periodic reboots needed,
or any other quirkiness like with the newer firmware's.  The feature set is
not robust, but it is reliable with Asterisk.  Keep in mind, Cisco has no
incentive to make their SIP firmware work with any other platform other than
there servers so I don't really expect it to work properly if at all with
Asterisk.  7.5 is the only firmware version that I deploy on a few hundred
units and works fine.

Good luck.

JR