[asterisk-users] Incoming calls through SS7 for data modem transmissions - possible??

Robert Thomas thomcr at gmail.com
Tue Nov 30 09:51:10 CST 2010

Matt,

We are located on Costa Rica and so far there's just 1 TELCO running the
industrym with the CAFTA treatment the carrier had to open for
interconnection but they get to define the ground rules for the
interconnection.

They are arguing ISDN is and "end customer" circuit and you cannot use it to
"resell" service. You need an "Interconnect" circuit, to resell dial up
access, and they require you to support SS7 for "Interconnect" T1s

It's just the carrier raising the bar waiting for 90% of the competition to
drop off, and a little porcentage to make it.

We asked for quotes for multiple solutions, most of them ranging 15 000$,
and finally come to the conclusion Asterisk and SS7 would be the only viable
option for this project.

Cheers,

On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 9:21 AM, Matt Watson <matt at mattgwatson.ca> wrote:

> Just out of curiosity, what country are you in?
>
> I agree with the others in this thread, this seems very bizzare that the
> telco requires you to do SS7 for dialup connections.  I would ask them for
> specifics about the "legal" issues with what you are doing - it sounds to me
> like they are just trying to upsell you on a more expensive product.
>
> I am in Canada and we run exactly the configuration you are currently
> doing... we still have dialup internet customers that dial into AS5300's via
> PRI's.  Our telco has a PRI product gear specifically for this use... they
> call it 'ISP-PRI' I'm not entirely sure what the restriction is on it.... I
> have also just kind of assumed that it is inbound calls only, but I've never
> tried making outbound calls on them.  I do know they 25-30% cheaper than our
> regular voice PRIs though.
>
> --
> Matt
>

> 2010/11/24 José Pablo Méndez Soto <auxcri at gmail.com>
>
> Hello,
>>
>> We are working on implementing a solution for a medium service provider.
>> They were previously using a Cisco AS5300 gateway with some PRI trunks to
>> receive modem calls, then route them out the Internet.
>>
>> The Telco they were buying the trunks to discovered this configuration and
>> restricted them due to legal conventions, and stated that in order to
>> continue doing this, they would have to talk SS7 directly.
>>

> --

Robert