[asterisk-users] Incoming calls through SS7 for data modem transmissions - possible??

Matt Watson matt at mattgwatson.ca
Tue Nov 30 09:21:45 CST 2010

Just out of curiosity, what country are you in?

I agree with the others in this thread, this seems very bizzare that the
telco requires you to do SS7 for dialup connections.  I would ask them for
specifics about the "legal" issues with what you are doing - it sounds to me
like they are just trying to upsell you on a more expensive product.

I am in Canada and we run exactly the configuration you are currently
doing... we still have dialup internet customers that dial into AS5300's via
PRI's.  Our telco has a PRI product gear specifically for this use... they
call it 'ISP-PRI' I'm not entirely sure what the restriction is on it.... I
have also just kind of assumed that it is inbound calls only, but I've never
tried making outbound calls on them.  I do know they 25-30% cheaper than our
regular voice PRIs though.

--
Matt