[asterisk-users] IAX2 and INVAL packets

Sebastian shop at open-t.co.uk
Mon Nov 29 06:32:11 CST 2010

On 11/18/2010 08:01 PM, Sebastian wrote:
> Is anybody here familiar with the meaning of INVAL packets for IAX2?
>
> Every few days I get a dropped outgoing call in the middle of the
> conversation (the outgoing call has been connected for few minutes) when
> an incoming call comes in. The log reads the following when this happens:

Just answering myself here. After spending few months troubleshooting
this completely erratic fault - it turns out that it was the ADSL
router. I still don't know for certain the exact mechanism of the fault
- but it looks like my IAX provider would receive some packets which
were invalid from my direction - and hang-up calls randomly. There was
no rhyme or reason for it. Sometime it would happen few times a day,
sometime once every few days. Sometime 10 seconds into the call,
sometime when another call would come in. But it always seemed to be
connected with the "received INVAL" message in the logs.

I replaced the router (a TP-Link ADSL router) with a Belkin router
(that's what I had to hand) and everything is fine now for more then a
week. The other router did not give any signs of trouble otherwise - all
other Internet, email, openvpn and any other traffic going through it
was fine. But somehow it would generate this problem with Asterisk.

I just thought it might help somebody some day.

Sebastian